Sunday, January 31, 2010

Fiberglass Hull

After the hull is shaped about right, the fiberglass goes on. Here's how I did it ... I hope it lasts.

I spread a coat of epoxy on the hull, so the dry spots could soak it up. I let it cure for a half a day, then while the epoxy was still slightly tacky, I stuck the fiberglass fabric onto the hull. The fabric is overlapped at the seams.



Then the epoxy is wet out. The epoxy is poured onto the hull, then squeegeed off using a reasonable amount of pressure. Just enough epoxy is used to glue the fabric to the hull, but not to fill the weave. It was pretty easy, except little wet fiberglass hairballs and frayed edges made it a tedious and messy process.



The fabric becomes transparent when wet out, but the weave is still raised and visible.



Each coat of epoxy is applied before the one before it completely cures. (If I didn't do it this way, I would have to sand between each coat to get good cohesion).

The next coat fills the weave partially. The bumps in the hull caused by the fiberglass overlaps, etc. are sanded off and some thickened epoxy is also used to fair these areas a little. Then another coat is applied to fully fill the weave.





After these coats, I noticed quite a few bumps in my once smooth hull, so I decided to completely sand the hull down again (being careful to not dig into the fiberglass cloth). I'm glad I did this extra work because now the hull is much smoother. I'll later apply another coat of epoxy before painting to make up for this extra sanding. But first I'm going to install the skeg and capping pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment