Sunday, January 3, 2010

Bottom Planking

So far I have installed 4 planks of plywood on the sides of the boat. Next are the two large pieces on the bottom. Here are some pics of one of them being scarfed together. I have to make another one for the other side. Yeah, it'd be nice if I could teach my dog to stay off the plywood while it's being glued. I used a 4x4 post (and other heavy stuff) as a weight on this long scarf joint. The 4x4 is too rigid to give even pressure on the joint, so I put some cardboard under it to distribute the weight more evenly.





I decided to scarf the plywood pieces together instead of using butt blocks like shown in the plans. Scarfing is actually pretty easy. However, what I'm doing is more difficult, because the scarf joint has to be glued on the floor, (unlike the butt block joint that can be glued after the first section is on the boat). This means that I have to install the entire plank all at once instead of one section at a time. Nailing down this large piece of plywood before the glue sets is going to be quite a challenge. Wrapping it onto the hull requires a good twist and bend, adding to the difficulty.

I should have installed the bottom plywood first, since it's the most difficult. I don't have many spots to clamp it down, because the side planks are in the way. I think I may use a few screws toward the bow, like mini-clamps to hold it down while I bend it.

I'll let you know how it goes. Right now I'm not quite sure how its going to work, but I think I can do it.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah Chloe!! She's a pretty good helper. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I love the pics of Chloe! And the boat looks good. It sounds like so much confusing work. I'm impressed (again). Good job brother!!

    ReplyDelete