Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bottom Planking Installed

The bottom planking was successfully installed ... with a little help from the missus. We used some screws to help bend the front part down and nails everywhere else. Valerie held the ply in position while I screwed the front few screws. Then I climbed up on top of it to bend it down and screw the rest of the screws.





We then hammered all the nails in.



And while Valerie was covering the nail heads with glue, I was crawling underneath trying to clean up and fillet the glue around the stringers and chines inside the boat.



The process wasn't too difficult and we were able to do everything before the glue set. Having a helper sure is nice ... even if it is a rare occurrence.

Here are some pictures of the boat now with both bottom plywood pieces installed and it all sanded smooth. The epoxy is really difficult to sand, but it didn't take too long. I mainly used a belt sander believe it or not. A flat spot all along the centerline was planed using a belt sander. (Capping pieces are later going to be installed there). There were some spots on the hull that weren't fair and some nail heads still uncovered, and I applied some thickened epoxy to these areas. So that's what the wet spots are in the pictures below.







After I sand again, I'll start applying fiberglass, probably next weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Wow man that thing is really coming along. I don't know if you were aware but I do read your blog. It has been a lot of fun watching your progress on the boat. I can't wait to see pictures of it in the water. How much more time will it take until it is water worthy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michael how's it goin' ... sweet another follower. I remember that Ben had a catameran or something, didn't he? I should have got some sailing experience with him when I had the chance. It's hard to correctly purchase hardware for a sailboat when you've never been in one!

    Geez, I don't know how much longer it will take me. I'm hoping to have it in the water sometime this summer, but, worst case senario, I might not have the sails and rig ready ... just oars or something.

    ReplyDelete