Sunday, August 9, 2009

Frames complete. Trailer dismantled.


The frames have been finished and attached to the strongback. You can start to see the shape of a boat forming in my garage. Some temporary braces are placed across each frame at certain heights specified in the plans. These braces rest on the strongback at specified spacing, ensuring that the frames are at the proper location as the boat is being built. I'm waiting for some more wood from the lumber store. When I get it, I'm going to continue construction of the skeletion of the boat.

In the meantime, I'm dismantling the trailer and stripping the old paint off the frame. It's not nearly as fun as building the boat and hard work, but necessary.

One major problem I found with the trailer is that the axle needs to be replaced. As shown below, one of the spindle surfaces was seriously damaged. The trailer showed obvious signs of overloading and neglect when I bought it, so I guess I should have expected to find something like this. If I would have used the trailer as it was, the bearings would failed in no time for sure. I'm glad I decided to completely overhaul the trailer. It'll be much more reliable and not a worry.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you found the damage before putting your boat on it. Bummer though. Will you have to manufacture and axel or can you buy one?

    Hope you wore a respirator while stripping that paint. Something that old, you never know what's in it.

    It's great seeing the boat start to take shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan: I think you got a great deal on your trailer, even with the work it needs. It's going to look great with some paint on it. Just remember that it's only a trailer and don't obsess about cosmetics. Function and reliability - yes. Rust converter, chromate primer and topcoat with Rustoleum. That's the finish that I'd go with. Not expensive and very rust resistant. Easy to touch up too.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete