Saturday, August 1, 2009

Boat Trailer Aquired


I bought a used boat trailer on Craigslist. $240. It needs a little work, but it's the perfect length and has all the features I want. I couldn't pass it up. This steel trailer is a 1972 Gator Trailer made in Florida. (The company is no longer in business). The only info I could find online about the company is here:
http://www.feathercraftboats.com/Gator%20Trailers.htm
It seems the 1950's and 1960's trailer frames were round tubular construction, but this one is open c-channel ... which I think is better, because it won't rust from the inside out as long as I keep it painted. (A steel tubular trailer should really be galvanized, especially if its going to be in salt water.)

I can't figure out how much weight this particular trailer can haul. I'm sure my boat won't be too heavy for it, but it could be too light (then the springs would be too stiff and my boat would have a rough ride). I jumped up and down on it (I do that with any large purchase) and the springs seem about right. I also lifted one side ... I would guess it weighs about 350 lbs.

This trailer has a row of keel rollers down the middle that support the majority of the weight of the boat, as well as bunks on the side that keep it stable. This is an ideal trailer setup for a wooden hull, in my opinion. The trailer is also tilting, which means I will be able to beach launch the boat without a boat ramp ... very cool. That longitudinal board down one side is a metal platform for walking on so you don't get your feet wet ... I like it.

Ok, actually, there's lots of work to be done on it, which I will be doing concurrently with the boat construction. The tires and wheel bearings need to be replaced. The lights and wiring need to be replaced too. I also plan to paint it to match the boat and maybe get new fenders to make it look better. The carpet on the bunks seems to be shag from some granny's bathroom, so that should be replaced. I also need to get a spare tire and wheel. Then I need to adjust the trailer to fit my boat, including the axle and bunk positions. I will probably have to spend a few hundred bucks and a few months fixing it up. But I can't find a new trailer like this anywhere ... and if I could, it would be pricey.

So ... now maybe my blog should be titled "Hartley TS14 Construction and Trailer Restoration", because I plan to include the details of the trailer restoration in my posts.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ryan, It looks like you are having fun with your project. It should bring you satisfaction for a long time to come. It still reminds me of the guy on NCIS who occasionally works on his boat in his basement. (Very Similar)

    ReplyDelete