Sunday, July 19, 2009

Wood Purchased and Frame Construction Started

I bought some wood this week ... about 70% of what I need. I got mostly clear vertical grain Doug-Fir (CVG DF) for the frames and almost everything inside the boat. Marine grade plywood is going to be used for the hull. I got Aquatek and Hydrotek brand name meranti (mahongony-like) plywood. It looks like pretty nice stuff. No voids in the plys. Hydrotek looks a little nicer and has a BS 1088 stamp on it. (Although I hear this specification isn't regulated, so the stamp is pretty meaningless.) I also got white oak for some pieces that will take more of a beating.

I cut out the frames from 1X4, 1X6 and 1X8 CVG DF. It was pretty easy ... just tracing the patterns and lots of cutting with a jig saw. Although, cutting with a jig saw requires some practice to make a clean cut. (Reading the instruction manual and holding it with two hands helps a lot.) The frame pieces will be glued and nailed together with plywood gussets.


I also cut out the pieces for the stem, which will be three layers of wood glued and screwed.

No comments:

Post a Comment