Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Selected Design



After weeks of thinking, I chose to build a Hartley Trailer Sailer (TS) 14. It's a 14 feet long wooden sailboat with a cuddy (or small cabin). (Supposedly two adults can sleep in the cuddy ... we'll see). It has a main sail and a jib sail (the small sail in the front). It can also be rigged with a spinnaker, which I understand to be a parachute-like sail only for sailing with the wind.

This design was selected because the finished boat and trailer should fit in my small garage and be under 1000 lbs, so I can haul it with my compact car. And it should be an ideal micro-cruiser for two for trips along the Columbia river and the occasional trips to Puget Sound or the Oregon coast.

There are many different sizes of the Hartley TS. The most popular is the Hartley TS 16, but there are also the 12, 18 ... and larger. The boat was designed in New Zealand and is a very popular boat in Australia. The design dates back to the 1950's, claiming to be the first "trailer sailer" and starting the movement toward trailerable small boats.

I ordered the plans on the internet and they took over a month to arrive from New Zealand. The plans simply show different views of the boat, but don't have any step-by-step instructions. They do have full size patterns for the frames, so that's nice. The plans are fairly detailed, but still seemingly lacking for the first-time boat builder like myself. Umm ... where do I start? I decided to just stare at the plans for a few days and maybe figure it out.

7 comments:

  1. Tried to post yesterday but failed. In short, keep up the great blog! I'm fascinated! BTW, I believe you'd sail better with a main sail and not a mail sail. Minor detail, unti you half-way to China! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ryan: Your blog is very intresting. I am involved in the construction of a Hartley 16, until now I complete the hull, choosing the possiblility of a fin keel instead of a centerboard. Probably if I found your blog before I will install the centerboard, but I found the centerboard very dificult to do with the hull finished. I can send to you some pictures of my boat. Send me your email and we can exchange our experiencies. Best Regards, Carlos Alberto Vispo, Mar del Plata, Argentina, email: cavispolopez@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi: Here in Mar del Plata, Argentina, I am involved in the construction of a HARTLEY 16 with the option of fin keel.
    I want to get in touch with you because your blog is very interesting.
    Best Regards.
    Carlos Alberto Vispo López
    cavispolopez@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ryan: I am involvede in the constrution of a Hartley 16 in my garage. I have finished the hull and opted for a fin keel not a centerboard, the plans I receive bring me that option. Here in Mar del Plata, Argentina I do not need use the centerboard. Let me know if you found my comment, your blog is very interesting. I try to post a comment before without succes.
    My email is cavispo@hotmail. com or cavispolopez@gmail.com
    Best Regards, Carlos Alberto Vispo López

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI! LOOK AT THIS SITE:
    veleroartesanal-hartley16.blogspot.com
    WITH PHOTOS OF MY HARTLEY 16

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. London renovations

    ReplyDelete