Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Modified centercase slot details

Here is a section view showing how I modified the centercase connection to the keelson, in case I lost you on one of those previous posts. As I said in a previous post, I widened the slot from 3/4" to 1-1/4" and extended the 1/4" plys through the keelson. This makes the connection much more rigid and makes nice continuous plywood sides on the inside of the case, instead of having the keelson exposed for rot to start. I'm going to epoxy the centercase in place instead of using mastic.



This modification isn't a novel idea. I read in forums that some Hartley builders have done this and its actually listed as an alternative on the TS16 plans. They say they are happy with it and it makes a nice watertight connection. I'll let you know in a few years if I still think it is a good idea.

2 comments:

  1. Just getting caught up on your blog. Lots of interesting progress! Was it scary cutting a hole in the bottom of your boat?

    I'm anxious to see it when I come up for a visit!

    BTW, nice explanations...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it was quite scary cutting the slot, mainly because it significantly weakened the frame. Cutting the rib in half weakened it even more.

    ReplyDelete