Sunday, November 1, 2009

Chines being installed

The first layer of the chines and gunwales has been installed. When I was installing them, none broke and only one sprung back and hit me in the head! Success. I started by cutting a bevel in the front to fit up to the stem. I attached each of them to the stem, then glued and screwed to the frames. A pretty simple process as long as the pieces of wood don't break.



I decided not to screw them into the foremost frame (frame #1), because I was worried that the screw hole could cause the piece to crack in this high stress area. This worked fine, except the force of the bent gunwale pushed this frame aft slightly. Some temporary wedges and clamps are used to hold everything in position until the glue sets.

1 comment:

  1. Got a chance to see your masterpiece on my way to the airport. Mighty impressive! Starting to look like something now. Maybe I can assist Saturday afternoon on my way home?

    ReplyDelete